In this article, let’s talk about lead generation and why it’s crucial. I will be also be discussing in detail the top 10 proven lead generation tactics for targeted leads.
What is Lead Generation?
Lead generation is a process to get potential customers interested in the products or services of a company. The aim is to convert these potential leads into customers for an industrial and manufacturing company.
Before the boom in digital media, a company’s sales team was responsible for generating leads by meeting potential customers. During that time, information was scarce, and customers relied on the salespersons to give information. Information exchange and sales deals between a potential customer and the sales team took place at events and tradeshows.
Why do you need Lead Generation?
With the boom in the internet and digital media, the whole buying process has now changed. The customer is now an informed buyer and knows a lot about the product and services. Today, the customer uses search engines, social media, and website content to do the initial fact-finding before they are ready to contact your sales team.
Customers have completed almost two-thirds of their buying journey by the time they reach a vendor. In such a scenario, manufacturing companies must use digital media to bolster their lead generation process.
1) Website optimized for converting visitors
- It is crucial to place Call-to-Action buttons (CTA) throughout the website. The CTA buttons allow customers to subscribe to a blog or newsletter and download case studies or templates.
- Add updated, relevant, and accurate content with CTA’s to move the reader in the intended direction.
- Capture visitor data through gated content and adding them to lead lists.
- State the value of your business on your website homepage and through the website content. Search Engine optimized website keeping in mind on-page SEO and off-page SEO.
2) Blogging to attract leads
- Blogging is one of the best ways to show website visitors that you are an expert in your field.
- Through blogging, you can answer your prospects’ questions and prove that you are a subject matter expert.
- By creating valuable content, you will be able to attract the right prospects to your website.
- Using keyword-rich content will give your content more visibility on search engines.
3) Pay Per Click Advertising
- Many people in the manufacturing industry believe that advertising is not useful for them. Since their products have a complex buying cycle and their products’ cost is high, Pay Per Click advertising will not work.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) advertising on Google works even for industrial companies as your advertisement appears right at the top of the SERP’s (Search Engine Results Pages) and gives you greater visibility. It helps your prospective customers to reach you faster.
- You can set Key Performance Indicators (KPI) for your PPC ads to measure a single click. You can budget the PPC cost to the last Rupee, and the PPC ad can shut down right away.
- PPC also allows for specific targeting, thereby helping you use the right keywords to cater to your target customer. It also allows you to use keywords to exclude people who are not your target customers.
4) Referrals Program to generate leads
- Establishing a referral program would help you to get new leads moving into your sales pipeline.
- A referral program that rewards and encourages customers to refer your products and services to potential customers would be very beneficial. Creating a referral template and adding a referral call-to-action button on your website would make the job much easier.
- Referrals from your existing customers will help you get your foot in the door of a prospective business. Additionally, a strong referral program will help expedite the sales process as the companies are more inclined to buy from people they already know and trust.
- The referral system works as you don’t waste your time and money searching for the right lead. Only people who need your product or service will connect with you.
5) Lead Magnets
- Marketing tools that are digital resources and can be downloaded by prospects in exchange for contact information such as their email address and phone numbers are called Lead Magnets.
- Lead magnets are valuable for generating leads and can be in ebooks, templates, whitepapers, etc.
- A compelling lead magnet will not only be valuable but will help will be specific to your niche and will promise a quick gain to the prospects.
- Create Irresistible lead magnets to motivate prospects to share their contact details easily in exchange for the information.
6) Social Media Marketing
- With the increase in social media platforms, social media marketing is essential for a digital marketer. Since the number of social media users is growing exponentially every day, manufacturers cannot ignore social media marketing even more now as a part of their marketing strategy.
- Understanding which social media channel would meet your needs would depend on which platform your customers are using.
- LinkedIn seems to be the first choice, but it would not be wise to ignore Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, etc., as the younger breed of customers regularly uses these platforms.
- Even though social media will not help you sell your products, it will help you establish a brand image and increase awareness about your company.
- Social media also allows you to go a step further than traditional marketing and connect with your customer and directly communicate with them.
7) Email Marketing
- Email Marketing will only work if you collect email addresses on your website using gated content such as eBooks, whitepapers, etc., and by allowing people to subscribe to your blog.
- Once you have started collecting email addresses, segment these contacts into relevant lists so that you can send the right content to the right people.
- Set up triggered emails or autoresponders when a visitor performs a specific action on your website. You can then send the visitor a series of automated emails tailored to their requirements. It is one of the best ways to nurture leads.
- Make your emails easy to share by adding social media buttons. Insert a preformatted tweet that your reader can share with ease. Adding a link for easy signing up for your emails would help people who get the forwarded emails.
- Webinars are a great way to get high-quality leads, but there are specific points you keep in mind before you start creating a webinar. The content of the webinar is alone, not an important factor. Make the entire process right from signup, promotion, and follow-up, smooth and impeccable, to create an impression.
- Webinars help you to build your authority and establish credibility in your domain. People want to do business with people they admire and trust. Webinars will help you to create a rapport and connect with your target audience directly.
- Webinars don’t limit your reach to a geographical location. You can reach people from across the world at a lower cost per lead.
- Tradeshows, though, a traditional method for lead generation, is still an excellent option. There are various ways in which you can use digital marketing to promote your tradeshow and generate leads.
- Identify and train the right team to man the tradeshow booth.
- Segregate your team to manage people who visit your booth by creating different groups for
- Generating the interest of people passing your booth
- Verifying the genuine and qualified prospects
- Moving people who are not prospects and timewasters away from the sales team.
10) Become a Thought Leader
- A senior member of the organization, such as the CEO or VP, needs to write a list of useful resources and share them with their readers and followers. By sharing content such as white papers and case studies through their social media accounts, they would establish themselves as thought leaders.
- Furthermore, these resources will establish your authority on the subject and show your desire to solve your customers’ problems.
- As a thought leader, take up speaking engagements at tradeshows and conferences. Take part in speaking assignments at your local associations and seminars.
- All your speaking and writing assignments should focus on educating your readers. You will be an expert who can influence and provide their unique insight and vision to others.
Today, customer-centricity is the key to increasing awareness about your products and capturing buyers’ attention in an overcrowded digital marketplace. Manufacturers that are helping their customers by providing educational content and solving their problems are growing at an exponential rate. Modern manufacturers have understood that interruptive marketing is no longer effective. They have moved towards a customer-centric approach to their lead generation.